Patient Safety Awareness Week 2022
What WPSC members are doing for Patient Safety Awareness Week
PeaceHealth is planning a summit. During the virtual Safety Summit, they will renew their focus on safety and delivering on the PeaceHealth Vision — every person receives safe, compassionate care, every time, every touch. Attendees will include caregivers and leaders systemwide — those who provide direct patient care and support those who do — who have played key roles in PeaceHealth’s quality and safety efforts. In alignment with National Patient Safety Awareness Week, the March 16 event will feature:
- Two nationally-recognized speakers, who will discuss patient safety as we emerge from the pandemic, and offer tools that can enhance caregiver and clinician well-being. Speakers include Dr. Tejal Gandhi, speaking on “Broadening the Definition of Harm: the Next Step in Achieving Safety,” and Dr. Bryan Sexton, presenting on “Prioritizing Caregiver Wellbeing: Moving Forward and Upward Together.”
- Presentations and interactive breakout sessions where we’ll discuss the past, present and future of patient and caregiver safety at PeaceHealth; and our ongoing culture of safety priorities and commitments at the local level and systemwide.
Feel free to contact David Allison, System Director, System Patient Safety, PeaceHealth. email@example.com
Swedish Health Services
Swedish Patient Safety will led a Virtual Town Hall that includes:
- What is Patient Safety at Swedish?
- Video presentations of What is Psychological Safety at Swedish and Good Catch winners discussing high reliability behaviors they used to prevent harm.
- Celebration of Safety Heroes [Safety Hero: A caregiver/provider who consistently demonstrates high reliability behaviors]
- Patient Safety Rounding with Executive Leaders of Campus
- Review key topics of psychological safety, patient safety and high reliability tools (caregivers names submitted into raffle—for chance to win prize).
- Showcase Patient Safety on-line with daily links to new patient safety stories, videos and tools.Contact Jessica Yanny, Patient Safety Officer, Swedish Medical Center, Jessica.Yanny@swedish.org
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
SCCA Patient Safety Team is re-launching their Sharepoint site with updated content. Our focus for Patient Safety Week is on recognizing staff dedication to preventing patient harm at our organization. The following elements will be incorporated:
- Highlight frontline staff for their contributions to patient safety
- A short statement of the work individual staff members have done to advance patient safety featured in Better Together and on our website, staff will also be awarded a gift
- Good Catch Award nominees will be highlighted to raise awareness of the Good Catch program and to encourage continued near miss reporting
- Socialize our strengths on the recent Culture of Safety Survey
- SCCA just completed our culture of safety survey on Jan. 28th. Our organization scored better than the average score of other Comprehensive Cancer Centers on the safety culture index and demonstrated specific strengths with respect to incident reporting and feeling empowered to speak up and report issues in unsafe situations
- Strengths will be highlighted in the Better Together newsletter and on our SharePoint site
- Share how reporting events leads to quality improvement initiatives at our organization
- The Patient Safety Team launched PSN in Action to showcase the value of incident reporting and subsequent QI efforts that follow
- Examples of PSN in action will be shared to encourage continued incident reporting
Patient Safety Awareness Week Resources
- Center for Patient Safety site: the Center has a FREE Toolkit for you and suggestions.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement: has resources and suggestions.
- U.S. Military Health
- American Society for Health Care Risk Management
Patient Safety Educational Programs
- UW Certificate Program in Patient Safety and Quality
- Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute’s online Patient Safety Certificate Program
- Duke Center for Healthcare Safety and Quality
- IHI Open School Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety
- IHI CPPS Testimonials
- IHI Open School Presentation