Every two years, we choose major initiatives to focus our activities around that represent significant areas for growth in the patient safety and quality space. From there, we organize Action Planning Workgroups who meet monthly to explore these topics and plan activities around them.
In 2019, we chose the following three initiatives for the 2020-2021 period:
1) Improving the Diagnostic Process
This workgroup will develop a toolkit of tools and resources around best practices. Promote collaborative diagnosis (including patient/family).Work to promote collaborative diagnosis and beyond that, help patients understand how best to prepare for visits and collaborate and engage with their providers.
2) Addressing Stigma & Bias
The workgroup will identify and address the barriers to access with a view to initiating a culture shift, improving patient safety and reducing health disparities.
- We are currently partnering with the Washington State Medical Association on a Health Equity webinar series, find out more here.
- WPSC Friday 5 Newsletter: How is Patient Safety Affected by Race and Implicit Bias
- Learn about the implementation work the Bree Collaborative is doing within Behavioral Health Integration
3) Psychological Safety in the Workplace
The workgroup will develop tactics and tools to promote and encourage a culture where employees are willing to speak up and report safety issues without fear of retaliation
Communication & Resolution
We also have an ongoing initiative in support of the UW’S Collaborative for Accountability and Improvement in support of the Communication and Resolution Program (CRP) and CRP Certification to reshape responses to patient harm. Learn more about our CRP work.