The Cardiac Care Outcomes Assessment Program has over 22 years of data collected from every hospital in Washington State that performs PCI or adult cardiac surgery. We add over 15,000 PCI records and almost 5,000 cardiac surgery records each year, which creates a wealth of data for asking research questions that are relevant and urgent to the quality and future of cardiac care.
If you would like to be involved in research initiated by the COAP Research Subcommittee contact Dr. Ravi Hira, COAP Medical Director, at email@example.com.
You may also submit an application for use of COAP data in your research. To obtain a research proposal application, go here.
- Goss JR, Whitten RW, Phillips RC, et al. Washington State’s Model of Physician Leadership in Cardiac Outcomes Reporting. Ann Thorac Surg 2000;70:695-701.
- Goss JR, Epstein A, Maynard C. Effects of cardiac rehabilitation on self-reported health status following coronary artery bypass surgery. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 2002 22(6):410-417.
- Maynard C, Goss JR, Malenka M, Reisman M. Adjusting for Patient Differences in Predicting Hospital Mortality for Percutaneous Coronary Interventions in the Clinical Outcomes Assessment Program. American Heart Journal, 2003; 145:658-664.
- Aldea GS, Goss JR, Boyle EM, Quinton R, Maynard C. Use of Off-Pump and On-Pump CABG Strategies in Current Clinical Practice. The Clinical Outcomes Assessment Program of the State of Washington. Journal of Cardiac Surgery, 2003; 18:206-215.
- Dabal RJ, Goss JR, Maynard C, Aldea G. The Effect of Left Internal Mammary Artery Utilization on Short-Term Outcomes after Coronary Revascularization. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2003; 76:464-470.
- Wu, AH, Goss JR, Maynard C, Stewart DK, Zhao X-Q. Predictors of repeat revascularization after non-emergent, first percutaneous coronary intervention in the community. American Heart Journal, 2004; 147:146-150.
- Wu AH, Goss JR, Maynard C, Stewart DK, Zhao XQ. Predictors of hospital outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention in the community. Journal of Interventional Cardiology 17:151-158, 2004.
- Johnston G, Goss JR, Malmgren JA, Spertus JA. Health status and social risk correlates of extended length of stay following coronary artery bypass surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 Feb; 77(2):557-62.
- Goss, JR, Maynard C, Aldea G, Marcus-Smith M, Whitten R, Johnston G, Phillips R, Reisman M, Kelley A, Anderson R. Effects of a statewide physician-led quality improvement program on the quality of cardiac care. American Heart Journal, 2006; 151(5):1040-1049.
- Maynard C, Rao SV, Gregg M, Phillips RC, Reisman M, Tucker E, Goss JR. The Role of Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Predicting Hospital Mortality for Percutaneous Coronary Interventions in the Clinical Outcomes Assessment Program. Journal of Invasive Cardiology, 2009; 21(1): 1-5.
- Bradley SM, Maynard C, Bryson CL. Appropriateness of percutaneous coronary interventions in Washington State. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 5:445-453,2012.
- Riley RF, Don CW, Aldea GX, Mokadam NA, Probstfield J, Maynard C, Goss JR. Recent trends in adherence to secondary prevention guidelines for patients undergoing coronary revascularization in Washington State: An analysis of the COAP registry. Journal of the American Heart Association 1:e002733do1: 10.1161/JAHA.112.002733,2012.
- Maynard C, Bradley SM, Bryson CL. The practice of transradial percutaneous coronary intervention in the Washington State Clinical Outcomes Assessment Program. American Heart Journal 165:332-337,2013.
- Likosky DS, Malenka DJ, Kommareddi M, Furnary AP, Helm R, Bryson CL, Paone G, Ruyun J, Maynard C, Olmstead EM, Mackenzie TA, Zhang M, Hanson E. Geographic variability in potentially discretionary red blood cell transfusions after coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 2014.
- Dale CR, Bryson CL, Fan VS, Maynard C, Yanez ND III, Treggiari MM. A Greater Analgesia, Sedation, Delirium Order Set Quality Score Is Associated With a Decreased Duration of Mechanical Ventilation in Cardiovascular Surgery Patients. Critical Care Medicine. 2013;41(11):2610–2617. doi:10.1097/CCM.0b013e31829a6ee7.
- Beatty AL, Bradley SM, Maynard C, McCabe J. Referral to Cardiac Rehabilitation After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, and Valve Surgery: Data From the Clinical Outcomes Assessment Program. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017;10: doi:10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.116.003364.
- Lambert-Kezner A, Maynard C, McCreight, M, Ladebue A, Williams K, Fehling K, Bradley S. Assessment of Barriers and Facilitators in the Implementation of Appropriate Use Criteria for Elective Percutaneous Coronary Interventions: A Qualitative Study. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders (2018) 18:164, https.//doi.org/10.1186/s12872-018-0901-6.
- Kearney K, Maynard C, Smith B, Rea TD, Beatty A, McCabe JM. Performance of Coronary Angiography and Intervention after Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Resuscitation (2018), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2018.10.007.
19. Hira RS, Ring M, Dunbar P. Public Reporting of Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Outcomes Done Differently-Leading From Washington. JAMA Cardiol. 2018 Nov1;3(11):1126-1127.
20. Kataruka A, Doll JA, Hira RS. Public Reporting for Cardiac Procedures: Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?. JACC (In press).